Sunday 19 October 2014

Abbey Lakes - Cirencester

The Abbey Lakes in Cirencester is a lake that I used to fish as a boy.  It is situated in the middle of the town, it is a beautiful settings. When I used to fish Abbey grounds it used to be full of roach, a few perch, odd tench, a lot of "Jack Pike"and some big carp.

These days it has a large head of Bream, and club match weights are commonly won with 30lb and up to 60lb!!!  There still is some beautiful head of roach in the lake and some big perch, along with Tench, Chub and a few carp.

So the lake really has transformed in ten years.   To protect the fish against predators the club have invested into "fish cages" to give the fish somewhere to hide. If your club suffers from predators, then it could be worth investing in these?






The Abbey Lakes does a half season ticket, which is only £8.  The Abbey Lakes does enforce a close season.



There are some big perch to catch and around Christmas time, I will do a perch feature and hopefully will have another great bag of perch for the cameras...

Abbey Lakes is celebrating their 25th anniversary as a club.  This year is the first time that I have joined it in a long time, I'm not 100% sure when I was a memeber, over ten years ago!

I don't often pleasure fish and my dad, as always he wanted to have a match with me to make it more interesting, but didn't want to use a keepnet?!?!  Anyway my dad had 3 bream to my catch......

  If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright © For any use of content (words and images) please contact me

No comments:

Post a Comment